Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Rare Saola: ...usually die in captivity :(


I'm one of those people who use AIM and still manages to deal with it's front page, separate pop windows each time I log in. Originally, I had planned to turn off this little tick, but soon found myself browsing some of it's interesting news and facts and fun tid-bits (a reason why I love Yahoo front page over a personalized Google homepage)

Anyways, I read this article on the Saola aka The Spindlehorn...a species first "officially" discovered in 1992 and now has proved to be one of the most rare animals. Needless to say---> definitely on the endangered species list.

With only a few hundred remaining between it's Vietnam and Laos territory, to see one in all its glory would be amazing to say the least. And apparently deadly.

A local village sighted one and couldn't resist their urge to capture it. It's not clear rather the animal would have been set free or a shrine might have developed over time to worship it...or maybe the villagers were hoping to make some tourist money off it. What is known that after only a few days in captivity...the animal died.

The carcass will be studied in order to obtain a better understanding of the animal and perhaps one day be able to raise some in captivity so the species does not go completely extinct. With so few numbers, I feel a little disheartened by this story, just thought I'd share. Here's the link to the one I read...but perhaps you found another?

No comments:

Post a Comment