Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Oil: taints your seafood buffet

I'm not sure if everyone knows this, but for the most part, I get my information about the world via my awesome Yahoo front page. No...they didn't give me money--I wish! But I'm sort of a cluttered (but organized!) person that enjoys having many things around me. I like that Yahoo front page gives me a little bit of everything including politics, cute animal videos, celeb gossip, sex blogs...and updated on what matters.

Like this darn BP oil spill...just when you think you've heard enough and that we've all escaped the dirty waters unscathed (save for those who actually live in it)...now there's news that the sneaky oil drops might've already climbed up the food chain!

In this article on one of my ridiculously long and informative list of yahoo front-scroll-bar-stories...the blue crab has apparently been hit by the BP crisis---in a big way! If you count reproductive viability a "big" way---which I do.

The wild blue crab's larvae (or "eggs" which hold teeny-tiny crabs) are found tainted with a familiar orange oily hue on the exterior. Scientists are concerned because if these droplets get inside the larvae, it could affect the health of the new babies and the reductive viability of the future generation...thus impacting the whole species in a BIG way in the years to come.

Only a handful of these 3 million or so eggs actually grow to adulthood as it is...and now their chances are lowering again.

And let's not forget about all the other creatures that depend on the blue crab for food! HOPE YOU HATE SEAFOOD.

Although crab extinction is sort of a stretch as of now, the though is still scary, and it SHOULD BE scary. It may be hard to fathom how a tiny blue crab affects OUR health, but they do and they will. So reserve your oil...ride a bike, walk the dog, play some soccer...and pray for the crabbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment